Prayer – How Your Daily Dose Can Change the World!
Prayer is all about communication between you and God – including both talking and listening. Take a look at the stories of the saints on the previous page whose lives were transformed by prayer. They affected the world around them and beyond for the better. Prayer is transformative. It’s powerful and it has a ripple effect. Go ahead, dive in!
One of the neat things about being Catholic is that there are so many different ways to pray and communicate with God! Here are some to give a try …
There are 4 basic forms of prayer:
- Blessing and Adoration (praising God)
- Petition (asking for what you need, including forgiveness)
- Intercession (asking for what others need)
- Thanksgiving (gratitude for what God has given and done)
And many different ways to pray:
- Holy Mass and Receiving the Eucharist
- Confession/The Sacrament of Reconciliation
- Praying Before the Blessed Sacrament (Adoration)
- Praying with Scripture
- The Rosary
- Lectio Divina
- The Examen
- Formal Prayers, like the Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be, and others
- Contemplative Prayer
- Communal Prayer (praying with others)
- The Liturgy of the Hours
- Devotional Prayers
- Novena Prayers
- Mantra Prayers
- The Angelus
- Informal Prayer
- Spontaneous Prayer
- And more. The list just goes on …
If you’re having difficulty communicating with God – remember to both talk AND listen – try a different way of praying and get your daily dose!
Learn more about Catholic ways of praying here with descriptions and steps on how to pray.